Thursday, September 19, 2013

Fostering Love for Three Little Kittens

Published in The Packet

I’ve been hanging out with three eight-week-old kittens named Nate, Nikala and Niah. They were strays found in Norman’s Cove with their mother and rescued by the SPCA. We are their foster family.



I feel like I’m living in a Beatrix Potter story when I watch these kittens. They are grey, white and precious with distinct personalities and a penchant for trouble.  In just two days after arriving in our home, they’d managed to get trapped in the Tupperware cabinet, sneak into my daughter’s crib for a long nap, use the basketball net as their own personal Bowflex machine, knock over a shelf of DVDs, and fall into a bag of dog food. Most of the time the three cats form one cuddly grey mass of fur that sleeps contentedly on the couch.


Is there a sound in the world more satisfying than the purr of a happy, dozing cat?

It has been amazing watching these wild little stray babies grow fatter and more comfortable around people.

Nate is the most relaxed cat I’ve ever met. He made friends with my Golden Retriever right away. He watches television with my toddler while simultaneously serving as her pillow. He greets my husband at the door at the end of the workday. He has an endearing, unkempt appearance owing to his tufty fur poking out in every direction. Nate’s meow is so pathetic; you can’t help but spoil him.



His sisters’ were more standoffish when they arrived. They spent the first day under the entertainment stand, hissing at us whenever we drew near.

But in two days, Nikala became my buddy. She purrs when I’m near, and she shadows me from room to room. She is an elegant “aristocat,” who seems readily aware of how gorgeous she is. She preens in front of windows. She stretches like a yogi. She keeps her brother and sister in line.



Then there is little Niah, a feisty tiger-striped pipsqueak. On the hunt at all times, Niah stalks houseflies, her shadow, reflections, her siblings, the dog’s wagging tail, her own tail, and anything else that catches her eye. Niah enjoys the comforts of home. She will burrow into anything fluffy and warm, but don’t expect her to relax on your lap. This is a cat that appreciates her personal space, and is very respectful of yours. 



I’m hoping these darlings get adopted soon, even though they will be hard to part with. The SPCA is currently offering a buy one get one free special on all cats, because there are so many in need of homes. They are also searching for more foster families who can take in mother cats and their nursing babies, until they are old enough to be adopted.



For more information on adoption or fostering animals, contact the SPCA at (709) 466-3489.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love that you commented! Thanks for making my day!