Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Biggest Loser


Published in The Packet



Last week, I was one of the 126 people who signed up for Clarenville’s Biggest Loser Challenge. I arrived with my team at the CEC Theater Lobby, paid my $25 entry fee, and stood in a long line to be weighed.

I lack the intrinsic motivation to become a healthier on my own. I love watching episodes of The Biggest Loser on TV. I’m pretty sure the only things capable of changing my sedentary ways are the peer pressure, public weight shaming, bossy personal trainer and viewing audience of millions the show provides. Still, I’m happy to try our town’s version.

I anticipated walking into the dark theater, being attired in an ill fitting spandex suit to wear, and told to stand on a giant scale in front of the whole town. Luckily, the event organizers are kinder and less dramatic than I am. Instead of publicly humiliating all participants, the town has taken extra steps to ensure each participant’s privacy.  

Each person is weighed in a private booth. The competition is comprised of teams of six, with both team and individuals eligible to earn weekly prizes and overall prizes. However, even your team members are unaware of your start or end weight. Prizes are based on percentage of body weight lost, with first prize being $1000, second $300, and third $200. I already feel like a winner because the scale
I stood on at registration weighed me seven pounds less than my scale at home. Yippee!
           
The Town of Clarenville was inspired to do the Biggest Loser Challenge after seeing the success Portugal Cove had in their town. They were confident it would be popular here, but the enormous crowd that signed up last week Tuesday still surprised them.  

 In the coming weeks, participants will weigh in on Tuesdays. We will hear presentations on healthy eating and exercise tips from personal trainers and nutritionists, and will have the opportunity to sign up for athletic activities like group hikes. Trainers in the area are offering free classes for participants.
           
The excitement of participants was palpable when leaving the first official weigh-in. One team was already walking laps around the CEC parking lot.

There is excitement in my own household as well. My husband (and teammate) has started getting up at 5 am to run with our dog. It takes some convincing to get that pup out of our bed so early, and he gives me a doleful look when he hears my husband getting the leash from the closet, but they both come home invigorated from the exercise and the cold air.

I’ve tried taking steps to improve our diet, by replacing snacks like crackers with hard-boiled eggs and reducing our portion sizes. We are incredibly motivated to succeed in week one. The trick will be to stay motivated for the next ten weeks until the final weigh-in on July 9th. Then the Biggest Loser title will be announced on Clarenville Day. Of course, all participants working hard to pursue healthier lifestyle choices can be crowned winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love that you commented! Thanks for making my day!