Friday, March 1, 2013

Ellie Learns to Sleep

So I've got this baby named Ellie. She is learning to do stuff, too.
 


We have figured out how to put my baby to sleep.

We had to let her cry it out in her crib, otherwise she would fight sleep until around 11 pm. It was a pretty traumatic period for us, but now she goes to bed without any issues. 

She is out for a good four or five hours and then she wakes up crying.

I know I should just let her settle herself back to sleep, but I'm at war with myself.

I literally chant to myself, "She is learning how to fall asleep on her own. She is learning to fall asleep on her own. She is learning to fall asleep on her own."

But while I'm saying this, my brain is firing off reasons why I should go get her. 

I'm certain she is dying of thirst because of the ridiculously dry air in our house. I mean if I need to get up to drink a glass of water, why wouldn't she have to do the same thing?

I start to worry that maybe the attachment parents have it right, and I'm causing a lifetime worth of trauma by abandoning her.

What if it is a dirty diaper issue, and by ignoring her cries I'm causing her to get a horrible rash?

What if she is the only baby we ever have, and I'm denying myself and her the last middle of the night cuddles we'll ever have?

Usually by the time I've gone through this litany, Ellie has put herself back to sleep.

But sometimes, she is persistent. Her cries outlast my chanting.

And when my husband wakes up, he can take a picture like this of us while he's getting ready for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love that you commented! Thanks for making my day!